Tuesday 18 June 2019

Zulhelmi Akmal Bahaudin, 5 Delima 2019

     I was cycling around the town when I noticed a building at the edge of my town. I decided to cycle around the town to explore it as I only just moved here. 'Rayan Bakery' was the name written on the signboard of the building which I could assume that it sold baked goods. With a rumbling stomach, I entered the building which rang when I opened the door. And there, I saw it, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen in my life. A hotdog bun with red hot sauce all over the bun. What I didn't suspect was someone beyond the counter who changed my perspective forever, at least about the buns. With long black hair and hazelnut eyes, the bespectacled teenage girl left me wondering; was this my lucky day?
    
      All of sudden, another woman stepped outside and stood beside her. "I am sorry. Sara isn't good with strangers as we just moved here last week."

     To my surprise, they were also new here. "From last week you are our third customer, thanks for coming to our bakery. What would you li..." I guessed the woman stopped mid-sentence as she might notice that my eyes were too fixated on the hotdog bun. Joyfully, she took out the bun and handed it over to me. 

     "Here, extra special for you," the woman exclaimed. I had a bite and to my surprise, it was very delicious. The woman mentioned that the bakery did not have any customers as it was at the edge of the town. When I thought about it, this might be my chance to make new friends here. I offered the lady my help and ordered her to prepare a box of buns and put it on my bicycle.

     "Wait! Please bring Sara along. She might be able to make new friends with you." I forgot to tell the lady that I was also new here. So, she boldly assumed that I had friends here. Together with my bicycle and Sara riding at the back, holding the box of buns, I cycled through the town trying to sell the buns that she gave me. If the customer wouldn't come to the bakery, the bakery would come to them!

     Sara and I went from house to house trying to sell our buns. Some bought them and some didn't seem to have interest in them. Until we arrived at a house, I rang the doorbell and heard a familiar voice. When the door was opened, I realised that he was my best childhood friend, Nabil. He told me that he lost contact with me as he lost my phone number and he had lived in this town for more than 5 years. He said that he would introduce me to his friends later if I had the time. I simply nodded and bid him farewell as I needed to sell the remaining buns. It looked like I wouldn't be alone in this town after all!

     "...Who is he?" I heard a slow voice coming from the back. It was Sara and I didn't expect her to be this timid.

     "He was my friend back then when I was a child and I didn't expect to see him here," I replied.

      "Would you like to become friends with him?" I offered her.

      "That would be nice," she replied shortly. Later, Sara told  me about her past and the reasons that she changed town. She told me that her father died in a car accident and she couldn't go to school normally due to her depression and trauma. Therefore, her mother decided to change town to give Sara a new surrounding.

     I was quite shocked yet pitying her at the same time. I told Sara that now she had known me, she could ask help from me any time. Sara seemed to smile as I saw the face that had been seen wearing a frown was wearing a smile right now. She thanked me and I cycled to other houses to finish selling the buns. We got positive feedback from people who ate them on the spot saying that the buns were good and fresh. Me and Sara were elated for the feedback we cycled back to the bakery with the empty box.

     When arrived, Sara told me that the lady in the shop was actually her mother. Her mother told me that she was shocked to see Sara smiling again. She thanked me for my kindness and thoughtfulness. She awarded me with a few money as a token of appreciation but I refused to accept it. 

     "Why wouldn't you accept it? It's your payment for the job?" she told me. 

     "Meeting my best friend, seeing Sara smile and helping you are enough as the payment for me," I told her. I thanked her and said that I would come again tomorrow before cycling down the street. As I revised back, cycling to the bakery, meeting Sara and my best friend as well as making new friends, seeing Sara's smile and selling buns with my bicycle, this might be my luckiest day ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment