Friday 14 June 2019

Dayang Nor Hajira, 5 Delima 2019


     I was cycling around the town when I noticed my best friend, Nurul. Whenever I saw Nurul, my mind would automatically flashback to the time when Nurul and I became best buddy.
     
     When I was in Form 2, I had a new classmate, Nurul Farhana was the name given. She was small and timid, and soft-spoken too. We, the rest of my classmates and I, were not even close to her. My classmates and I always made fun of her as she was obviously looking pathetic with her old and patched school uniform even though it was clean. Nurul did not have friends and my classmates and I did not even bother to approach her.

     On my birthday that year, my father gave me some amount of money and I planned to eat some mouth-watering food and catch the latest film of Harry Potter with my two best friends, Iman and Puteri. Both of them were so excited about it because the treat was on me.

     "Let's go to the Harmony Cafe. I heard they serve good pasta and milkshake there!" suggested Iman, jumping joyfully.

     "I am not sure if I have enough money for the three of us to dine there plus the tickets for use to watch the movie at Rex Cinema cost quite a lot," I replied doubtfully as I took out my wallet while we were walking towards the canteen.

     Iman, Puteri and I were chatting about our plan excitedly during the recess time at the school canteen. As we were talking and giggling, I showed them the crisp red paper that my father gave me for my birthday and assured them not to worry because I was the one who would be treating them. Out of the blue, a black shadow hovered over the three of us. I looked up, feeling curious. Bedah, a large-sized Form 5 student was standing in front of us with her hands on her waist. My body was trembling with fear as I already knew her intention. Bedah was a bully who loved to hit young students and always took their money for her own benefits. No students were brave enough to report about her to the teachers. Iman, Puteri and I just stood still, rooting to the ground. We were too frightened to make a move.

    "Give me your money!" Bedah threatened us, scowling at my face. I turned to my friends. Both of them looked at me helplessly and bolted from there like a bat out of hell! I was left by my "so-called" best friends. I was speechless and dumbfounded. Bedah still would not give up.

     "I said, give me your money or else..." Bedah yelled and lunged towards me.

     "Please, Bedah! Let me go!" I pleaded with my shaking voice and knees. Bedah put her fist up. I shut my eyes tightly. Magically, her punch did not connect with my face. I heard screaming and shouting every where. Nurul, the smallest girl in the class, was kick-boxing Bedah with her lightning-like kick. The large-sized girl was down on the floor, crying in pain. I was fascinated by Nurul's action. Then, there came the prefects and teacher and they brought Bedah to the principal's room, as what I expected.

     Later on, I approached Nurul and hugged her like a teddy bear even though she was skinny like a skeleton. I thanked her profusely and apologised for my stupid behaviour, ignoring her in the class. It was such a drastic moment when I was petrified a few minutes ago and now I was relieved to have a courageous yet tiny saviour like Nurul. 

   "I would like you to join me to go to Harmony Cafe and watch the film later. I was so lucky to have a friend like you," I invited her to celebrate my birthday together. Nurul was surprised but she did not reject my offer. I was grateful and indeed lucky that day. If Nurul did not come and save me, definitely, my money would be taken by Beday and I would go home with blue eyes and bruises on my flawless face. Since then, we were like soul sisters, going anywhere together. I felt secured and safe being around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment