Sunday 16 June 2019

Nurul Irdyna Parizal, 5 Delima 2019


     I was cycling around the town when I noticed a cat was staring at me from afar. The cat's eyes told me to approach it as if the cat was desperately asking me for a help. So, I slowly parked my bicycle near the pitiful cat while observing the cat's appearance. I was struck in awe when I noticed how well-groomed the cat was looking at the moment. The cat's fur looked like it had just been brushed and bathed. But then, when I came close enough to the cat, it hissed at me and I was shocked by it which almost made me fall off to the ground. Being extra cautious, I moved backward bit by bit. 


    Still, the cat was staring at me without blinking. Since I was a cat lover, I attempted to approach it once again. It almost landed its nails on my right hand to scratch me but as fast as lightning I pulled my hand away. It turned out, it was a female. No wonder it was quite fierce. I tried to figure out why the gorgeous but feisty cat was acting like that. I observed my perimeter and noticed that it was sitting close to a narrow, deep and closed drain. So, I looked inside the drain but there was nothing suspicious. Out of the blue, I heard a tiny yet weak squeal way down from the drain. I could hear a pin drop when the squeal was heard again. I quickly ran through my stuff in my backpack that I brought along and found what I needed the most at that critical moment; a flashlight. Ignoring the hissing cat, I struggled my way down through the hole of the drain to save what I thought to be the squealing kittens.

    Once I got in touch with the base of the drain, I turned on the flashlight. The scenery in the drain was not a pleasant one to smell or tell. Trying hard to cope with the environment, I fiddled through clumps of rubbish slowly and steadily as the drain water brought me along the hole path. 

     I struggled for about 25 minutes to find the source of the squeals because every time I thought of giving up on the search, the squeals echoed continuously inside the drain. So, I had to toughen up and fiddle through the rubbish for a bazillion times. Then, I finally found the kittens which were squealing non-stop when I picked them up. I did shed a few drops of tears but to my horror, it was not just the kittens' squealing, there was a baby too underneath the pile of the kittens.

     I started shaking terribly when I saw the baby, fortunately was still alive! After the white terror had passed, I picked up the baby girl and wrapped her properly with a cloth which I found underneath the baby 'bedding'. Swiftly, I climbed myself up and brought the baby along with kittens to safety. When I got out, I saw the cat which happened to be the 'mother' of the kittens was waiting patiently for me. Then, I handed the kittens to her and she took them to a nearby house for shelter. I followed the cat, carrying the baby girl gently in my arms. I panted for a while because I had not done anything more extreme than what I just did in my entire life as a 16 and a half years old girl.

     After the rest at the front yard of the house, I knocked on the door and it didn't take long for the owner to open it. I could swear to God, she was in extreme shock. Her eyes bulged and her hands automatically covered her big mouth and nose. In a muffled voice, she said, "One minute," before running to where I guessed would be the washroom and I could hear, crystal clear, she threw up. At first, I could not visualise what was wrong with me but then, I realised there were at least 50 flies flying and buzzing around me. I quickly waved my left hand frantically in all directions in order to make them go away but none of my effort was counted.

     The baby whom I saved just now was sleeping soundly in my right arm even though the flies were buzzing around me. The lady, the house owner finally welcomed me in after she finished vomitting. She instructed me to hand over the baby and gave me towel and some clothes as a sign for me to get bath. After I was done, I could see the baby was clean and she was on the phone, probably talking to the police. While waiting for the police to arrive, we chit chatted. I did apologise to her for making her throw up due to the stench I brought along after coming out from the drain. 

     When the police arrived, they interrogated me. The investigators bombarded me with tons of questions. It turned out the baby girl was actually a missing child from a high-class family. She had been run with a few of DNA tests but I did not bother to ask questions to the police. 

    The lucky part was that, of course, the family was grateful of my bravery and they actually recognised me as a second family. I got into the national news and my social media followers increased even though I did not know the connection between the case with my social media accounts. One more thing that I learned was life was good and I would never thought I would be the saviour of anybody's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment