Sunday 16 June 2019

Sharifah Nurul Ain, 5 Delima 2019


     I was cycling around the town when I noticed an old man in about 60 or 70 years old tripped down and fell onto the zebra crossing. I went to him and quickly parked my bicycle by the lamp post and helped him get up and brought him to a bench situated in front of a flower store. I asked him whether he was fine and he answered yes, he was. Nearby, there was a milkshake kiosk so I decided to buy one for him and one for myself. I told him to stay put and wait for me. He must have been exhausted of the sunny weather. I just wanted to quench some thirst too.

     Milkshake was bought and I went to the bench where he was sitting and shockingly, he was gone! I put the milkshakes down on the bench and walked around to search for him. Well, he was in the flower store. I went in and the doorbell rang. There he was in front of me, buying a bouquet of flowers. I guessed maybe it was for his wife or daughter or granddaughter. So, I just waited for him outside and he approached me with the flowers and said, "Here you go kid, thank you for helping me out." I refused to accept the flowers but he insisted so, I just took them from his hand, smiling thankfully.

     Then, I handed him the milkshake. "Here is your milkshake, uncle. I didn't manage to get other flavour because it was sold out. Is vanilla fine for you?"
     
    "Vanilla is fine, besides, it's my favourite," he stated, giggling happily.

     "Oh, me too!" I replied in excitement.

     Then, we started chatting and before that I put the flowers in the basket in front of my bicycle. After a while, I noticed that his cup of milkshake was already half empty. He was really thirsty. 

     "Where do you live, uncle?"

     "I live here just down the street," he pointed his finger to one of  the streets at a corner. 

     "I live there too. Who are you living with?" I was curious.

     He looked at me and smiled,"I am living with my dearest wife and a grandson, Muhammad."

     Then, we finished our drinks and I walked him home bringing my bicycle along.

     We arrived at his house and he knocked on the door. The door creaked and was wide opened by an old lady. She was surprised looking at us.

     "Oh, honey! Where have you been so long? I was worried sick." He smirked at his wife and kissed her on the forehead and offered me to go inside the house. I refused politely because I needed to get home and help my mother with the chores. 

     "Thank you for the invitation but I am really sorry I need to go back now," I gently rejected the offer. Before I left, I noticed a lad peeking from the stairs and quickly ran up when he caught my eyes. I guessed he was Muhammad, the grandson. I waved good bye and cycled back home.

    As soon as I got home, I helped my mother with the chores and went up to my room to rest. While I was on my bed, dreaming and thinking about the incident just now, out of the blue, I remembered about the flowers in the basket of my bicycle. I dashed downstairs and took them inside. My mother was cooking in the kitchen and when she noticed me, she teased me. 

     "From whom, by the way?" She giggled. She always had an eye for flowers.

     "From an old man. I helped him so he gave me this," I explained to her while putting the flowers inside a transparent glass pot filled with water. I put the pot by the kitchen window. 

     I sat at the dining table, staring at the flowers. How kind the old man was and how sweet he was to his wife. They were so cute together and thinking of them made me set my goal to get married and stay loyal to each other until the last breath of us. Out of the sudden, the vision of the lad at the stairs at the uncle's house crossed out my mind. He was cute but one thing that I remembered the most was his sparkling blue eyes. When he quickly distracted his eyes from me and ran upstairs, I wanted to get to know him. I could remember that I always saw him in the park. Then I questioned myself, "What is wrong with you, Aeen? He's just a regular boy." I got back into reality and went upstairs to have a rest.

     The next day was a school day so I dressed up, had breakfast and cycled to school as usual. On my way to school, I ran into the young man from the old man's house. Actually I bumped into him and we were both surprised. I apologised and I noticed that he was utterly nervous too. His face was as red as a tomato.

     "Hey, are you okay?" I showed my concern. He just smiled and nodded shyly. Then, he just went away as if nothing happened. I chuckled and continued my journey to the school. He was a bit taller than I, wearing braces with curly-styled hair.

     I went into the school compound with a smile plastered on my flawless face. I was elated because it was the start of everything. I got to talk to him and noticed one particular thing about him. He was shy but I managed to nickname him 'peekboy'. Now, everytime I saw him in the school, my heart would skip a beat and I would have butterflies in my tummy. Soon after that, we started to get closer to each other and I realised that I was having a crush on him. The good thing was he actually felt the same way too. Our partnership went on for several years with several dates and vacations together. Luckily, I found a man of my dream and we got married and had twins and I bet, nothing would ever get better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment