Friday 18 August 2023

The First Time by Rohaizi Abadi

     The first time being away from home, I was really anxious and had butterflies in my stomach. Since I was the eldest grandchild, I was chosen and instructed to find the missing heirloom which my grandparents had left it for us. To make the matter worse, I was only given clues on where to find them.

        The abandoned mansion owned by my grandparents stood tall on a remote island somewhere in Geneva. To my surprise, the ancient furniture still looked amazing even though it was completely covered with dust. I began hunting; looking behind old paintings as instructed by the clues I got. I chuckled when a written riddle was spotted behind one of those fancy drawings.

           To my dismay, the riddle itself was hard to be cracked. It took me a while to solve it. Nevertheless, my next destination was the attic. I was indeed in shock to uncover weapons from the last decades of war in the attic: old guns that used gunpowder. I rummaged the stuff in the attic only to find another clue that led me to master bedroom.

            My adventurous journey continued after I was able to notice a hidden stairway behind an antique closet. Curiousity kills the cat. So, I went down the creepy stairs and found a small room. The adventure came to an end when my trembling hands held a dusty family photo album. I shed tears of happiness as I was flipping every page of the album. It was filled with pictures of Grandpa and Grandma.

            I hurried home after that just to show my family members the treasure I had found. To them, it was not that valuable but for me, it was the greatest discovery. From the entire hunt, I learned precious memories were not to be locked away but cherished and appreciated as we only had one life to spend.

No comments:

Post a Comment