Monday 21 August 2023

First Time by Syazwani Zulkifli

         The first time being away from home, I was anxious. Living as a spoiled kid made me overthink on how I could survive being alone without Ma, Pa, Tom and Ryan. I had to admit as an introvert, it was not easy for me to start a conversation with strangers.

      It all started when Ma and Pa asked me to join a summer camp when I was 12. In order to get there, I needed to get on a train and it took 3 hours to reach at the destination, Sunshine Camp. I refused at first thinking I would be alone in the train and at the camp but seeing Ma's sad face changed my mind. I had no choice but to give in. I sobbed when Pa sent me to the train station.

        After I got the ticket, I sat silently at my place. I felt like throwing up due to the indescribable smell inside the train. When I was about to scroll for my Spotify, I noticed a young boy was sitting next to my seat with his sister. I guessed there were only two of them as I did not see any adults accompanying them. I was curious because the sister looked calm while the brother was throwing a terrible tantrum. I envied her calmness because I knew I would never experience that. If it happened to me, I was positive I did not know how to react.

        After a while, she noticed that I was looking at her. She smiled and waved her hands. I replied her smile. Awkwardly. She then approached me and introduced herself and her brother. I could not deny the fact that she was giving me this refreshing vibe and thus, my anxiety was finally gone. We had a little chit chat throughout the journey.

        I felt blessed to meet her in the train because since that day, I learned to be brave talking to strangers. I was slowly learning to make friends too. She inspired me not to be afraid being alone because from the story she shared, there were only two of them as their parents had passed away in an accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment