Monday 21 August 2023

First Time by Haziq Khai

         The first time being away from home, I was on cloud nine. If happiness were a mountain, then I was on top of Everest. It was my first time ever outing with friends. I came from a not-very-financially-stable family. Therefore, I need to save money through hard work and immovable will power and courage. Finally, I could go on a holiday with Brian and Jay, my childhood buddies.

        The first time we arrived, we gazed upon a spacious and luxurious hotel. Everything went well when we checked in into the budget hotel we booked and rested on the comfy beds provided. Later that night, we satisfied our growling stomachs with exquisite cuisines from the finest chefs of the hotel. After dinner, we hopped in our beds and rested for the next day.

     The weather on the second day was absolutely fantastic. The sun was shining brightly, living up the moods of people from all walks of life. It was a perfect day for hiking. We went hiking for three hours and then had a lunch at a family-friendly restaurant. I was thankful to Jay as he paid for our meals so I did not need to spend more on food. I had to make sure I still had some money left by the end of the trip.

         It all happened on the third day. I was sitting alone scrolling Instagram stories of my friends outside a mall when I was approached by a man wearing hoodie. I was unable to look at his face because he was wearing a mask. He asked me the direction to any bank nearby. I wanted to help even though I did not know much about the place. Without realising, he pickpocketed my wallet. Thankfully, a good Samaritan was there to witness the crime and caught the thief.

        The following days went smoothly as I learnt the hard lesson to be cautiously kind. I thanked the man who helped me profusely as I could not imagine if my money got stolen. From the incident, I changed to be more cautious towards strangers if I needed to help them some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment