Wednesday 1 February 2023

Unforgettable Moment by Fify Rosliana Sari

     It was a typical Sunday. No school, no tuition classes and no traffic jam. It was my routine to deliver homecooked food to my sister's family and when I reached at her house, the front door was open. I slowly tiptoed inside calling for Sonia, my sister and James, her husband. To my horror, a puddle of blood in front of the master bedroom captured my attention. "Where is Sonia? Where is the family?" I was in tremendous fear as I could not feel my legs anymore. With the sanity left, I searched for them.

    Recalling the moment a year ago when my sister moved out to this  house with her newly wedded husband, I always had this uneasy feeling. Her husband appeared to be kind, understanding and soft spoken but I got a hunch that that was not the real him. It was just a façade he was displaying to us. I had seen him kicking a kitten, shouting to kids and I never knew it could be even worse.

    Tiny bruises on Sonia's body proved it all. Perhaps I watched a lot of crime dramas but looking at Sonia's terrible condition made me start to doubt James more. Even though Sonia struggled to cover the pain, she could not hide it from me. I could tell how suffer she was without even glancing at her injuries. I once told Ma about this but she advised me to stay away from their marriage problem. Yet, I felt I had seen enough. 

    When I was about to compose myself as fear and panic engulfed me, a scream caught my attention. It came from the backyard garden and it was Sonia's! I dashed into the garden and what I witnessed left me speechless. James was punching and kicking Sonia while she was hanging for her dear life. They did not realise I was there and I took this precious chance to save my only sister. I quickly took a shovel and approached James from behind. I swung it hard and the shovel hit James' head. Blood was dripping and he fell to the ground.

    Neighbours came to help. They contacted the police and brought my sister to the hospital. James was arrested for his crime; not only abusing his wife but also a drug addict. After almost a month being hospitalised, they finally got their divorce. A restraining order was issued by the court to protect Sonia. The image of blood covering her was still playing repeatedly on my mind. I would never forget that moment until my last breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment